Literature & Films about Botswana
If you are a Botswana enthusiast and wish to delve deeper into the history, or just choose to learn a bit more about the country, here are a few good reads and video clips/movies to consider:
- Serowe: Village of the Rain-Wind by Bessie Heard - An examination of Serowe's more recent past inspired by words and memories of local inhabitants
- A Marriage of inconvenience: The Persecution of Ruth and Seretse Khama by Michael Dutfield - an insight into the true story behind the controversial relationship between a white woman and an African prince, later Botswana's first president, after independence and during the trying times of apartheid.
- Seretse & Ruth: The Love Story by Wilf & Trish Mbanga - A biography of president Seretse Khamas and english rose Ruth Williams
- Colour Bar: The Triumph of Seretse Khama and his Nation by Susan Williams - a well researched account of the relationship and struggles between a black man and white woman
- A Trip down memory lane - blog by Kwekudee - a condensed version of the historic events of Seretse Khama & Ruth Williams controversial relationship
NATURE & WILDLIFE
- Savuti: The Vanishing River by Clive Walker - some insight on the mystery behind the disappearing and reappearing of the Savuti Channel
- Kalahari: Life's variety in dune and Delta by Michael Main - perhaps a bit outdated, but worth a read to gain an insight on the people, geology, plants and animals of the Kalahari
- Cry of the Kalahari by Mark & Delia Owens - an account of Mark & Delia Owens experiences in the Kalahari after an almost 7 year stay near Deception Valley
- Bradt Botswana Safari Guide by Chris McIntyre - probably the most detailed account of Botswana's tourist destinations and gives a good insight on where to go when, the countries history, wildlife and environment.
- The Shell Tourist Travel and Field Guide of Botswana by Veronica Roodt - although some information is slightly outdated it gives great detail about road conditions and general must know information about the different tourist destinations.
- Kgalagadi self-drive by Powel van den Berg - if you are planning a self-drive tour to the Kgalagadi this is a must have with detailed information about the different routes, roads and accommodations.
VIDEOS AND MOVIES
- A United Kingdom starring Rosamunde Pike - based on the true story of Sir Seretse Khama and Ruth Williams relationship.
- TOP GEAR: Botswana Special - Season 10 Episode 4 - this famous special edition takes Richard Hammond, James May and Jeremy Clarkson from the Zimbabwean borders through the Makgadikgadi, Kalahari, Maun and Okavango Delta to the Namibia Border.
- The love story that shocked the world by BBC news - a short history of the relationship of Seretse Khama and Ruth Williams narrated by Ruth's sister.