Are drones permitted in Botswana?
Drones have become increasingly popular and has forced governments to make special regulations. If you are planning on using a drone in Botswana you are required to register it before your arrival to obtain a clearance certificate. Bringing a drone to Botswana without authorisation may result in a penalty.
How to register a drone for use in Botswana:
- Registrations have to be requested in writing with the Civil Aviation Authority (CAAB)
- Requests should be sent a minimum of 7 days prior to arrival (although I suggest to get in touch much sooner as they don't always respond immediately)
- The current fee for registration is BWP250.00
Penalty of using a drone without an operations certificate
- The current penalty is BWP5000.00
- Possible confiscation
- Refer to this document for the Legal Requirements of flying a Remotely Piloted Aircraft in Botswana
For further information and to request permission to use your drone in Botswana please contact CAAB directly:
Directorate of Flight Safety
Plot 61920, Letsema Office Park
Tel: +267 368 8200
Fax: +267 310 5440